Hi Leo
Sorry to hear that your having problems early on with the HL-45B. I posed the
same question to Tokyo High Power Labs about the HL-45B and received the
same answer as you did. Some times we are guilty of not sharing our experiences with our fellow hams. I apologize !.Since the amp was designed for the Yaesu rig, they rely very heavily on ALC from the amp to throttle back the radio. 5 watts will drive
the amp to over 75-80 watts easily. Here's what steps I use daily .
It will be necessary to establish and use virtual com ports to make DDutil function properly. I'll leave that to you to get going before you go thru the steps I'm about
to outline.

1. If your not using DDutil, then download and install it. This utility program will provide an automatic means to control the power input to your amplifier. More
   on this in just a bit.

2. Go to the "Antenna Tab" in PowerSDR and set the Delay (ms) to something greater that 10 ms... I use 13 ms. This allows the amplifier time to get into the transmit mode
   before it gets hit with RF from the Flex.

3. Go to the "Other" tab and check the "Auto Drive" check box.

4. Now lets talk about using DDutils.... Under the "Options" tab select "Auto Drive Settings" We will be dealing with settings for "Amp 1".... Go thru all the bands and initially set all the values to a initial low of 15. This will limit how much power is fed to the amplifier.

5. With an accurate Watt meter connected, key up the flex and amplifier and check the RF out. Adjust the numbers in the "Amp 1" box until you get an output of 40 watts for each band. Due diligence is required, but the net effect is that you will have the drive
   level set automatically for each band when DDutil is in control..

6. One other thing, of course the Flex does not provide any band switching signals to the Amplifier, so you MUST be sure that you are on the right band or it will fault out on you, requiring you to cycle power to the amp to recover. I built a small circuit using a "Basic Stamp BSII" that takes BCD output on a parallel port and convert it to a voltage that the amp recognizes as a band signal to automatically change bands.
   The BCD output is also one of the functions that DDutil can provide. Now
when I switch bands the power input to the amp is correct and I automatically switch band
   with just a single click.

That said, the is also a mechanism with in PowerSDR that can be used also. In the
"Memory" tab you can also set the power output for each band, This also sets
the output of the basic Flex 1500 , BUT you must remember to go to the Memory tab
each time and select the band that you want to use.

I hope this helps you and others that are contemplating using a HL-45B. Its a great
little amp and works well.

73 de Tom K5VJZ

P.S.
I sent Tokyo High Power these recommendations in hopes that they would mention
it in their manuals, but I doubt that will happen.