I will say that before we finally got it all straight, I couldn't hear it.
Luckily I have a friend who does a lot of audio work and he was the only one
that could hear it out of my usual group. I sent him some audio recordings
that I recorded into a dummy load and he ran his analysis software which
showed flat tops on some of the peaks and some spikes. When I had it set
with enough audio drive to provide 100 watts out it was even worse, and the
TX Meter set on MIC showed sporadic spikes that would peg the needle in the
red. No matter what I tried those needle spikes where there unless the audio
drive was so low I was lucky to get 20 or 30 watts out at 100% on the drive,
and the issue was still there just not as pronounced. The analysis software
showed the spikes and flat topping. I also tried a couple of different mic's
and that didn't change anything.

After scratching my head for a while I remembered something Dudley had told
me about turning the Leveler off because it was handled by the rack gear.
Well if that's the case why not turn the software mic gain to zero and use
the mic gain on the preamp. I did some more recordings and low and behold
the artifacts were gone. I set the mic gain on the external preamp to where
the TX Meter set on MIC hovers between -2 and 0. The needle is now stable
without any of those nasty spikes and my friend can no longer hear the
tearing, he ran another analysis on some recordings, other than I was
driving it a touch hard, the spikes and flat topping were gone.

I don't think it's a software problem, you just can't use mic gain in two
places, which kind of makes sense. I have already had one person tell me
that's how they run their system and another has tried it and says it worked
for them.

Rob, W1AEX, who wrote an article on setting up your gain listened to me on
AM the other day and recorded it along with a video of his PSDR. Its posted
on Youtube at this link http://youtu.be/G-aDcy0z2ds . I dont have any
recordings of on air SSB, but everyone tells me it sounds Great.

I know Dudley said he was going to try and duplicate this in the lab, and I
hope his findings are the same. There are so many variables between systems
it may be a tough nut to crack. This has worked for me and at least one
other person who e-mailed me direct so I'll post my settings one more time
and would like to hear from anyone else using external rack gear.

Mic Gain 0
Mixer Bal Line In all the way to the top
DSP Phone Buffers 4096
External Mic gain set to bring the TX Meter MIC needle between -2 and 0

That's it, your results may differ ..

Thanks

Craig
W1MSG