Zack,
I use a separate receive antenna for my Flex 1500 and also for my Flex-3000, which I modified to accept a separate receive input. I'm using the DX Engineering active receive antenna with an additional preamplifier and a 4-way splitter to drive several receivers from the same receive antenna.

If you use a separate receive antenna, be sure to place it at least a wavelength away from the transmit antenna at the lowest frequency that you plan to use to avoid frying anything. Mine is about 600 feet away with some buildings between it and my transmitting antennas. After some tinkering it works quite well for me, but I live in a rural, low QRM environment.
George, PJ5/KJ6VW