I used a Palomar up converter with Drakes in the past and it worked really
great.  I am going to try and find another one for my 1500.  Should be a great
combo.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 23, 2012, at 3:33 PM, "Robert Costa, KB6QXM" <kb6...@yahoo.com> wrote:

It is good to see many hams working on this project. As I agree that filtering
can eliminate most or all of the images below 1.8 mhz. My only concern is the
sensitivity at those frequencies.

I am wondering if a up converter would be the best solution.

73,
Robert
KB6QXM
"Ham Radio Open Conversation"
Yahoo group owner/moderator

----- Reply message -----
From: "Chuck O&apos;Neal" <cdon...@comcast.net>
To: <flexradio@flex-radio.biz>
Subject: [Flexradio] 472-479 KHz receiving and transmitting ERP    and
antennamodels
Date: Thu, Feb 23, 2012 12:12 pm

Here is what I've done with excellent results for the 600+ meter band.

I have two Clifton Labs filters, one is the BCB reject filter mentioned below
and a second custom low pass filter I had made by Clifton La bs with a 3 dB
corner at 85 0 KHz.  This second filter allows my Flex 5000A to cover the low
end of the BCB with no images, down to 500 KHz from about 850 KHZ where the
images appear to start up pretty badly.

As noted by Jordan, the BCB band reject filter still allows stuff from above
the BCB to to get in and produce lots of false signals below 500 KHz.  I can
hear 160M amateur signals there with the BCB reject filter in.  When I run both
the 830KHz low pass filter and the BCB reject filter in series, ALL the false
signals and  images go away.  Nothing left but actual signals from 500 KHz down
to about 250 KHz where images from below 500 KHz begin to start up.  I think
another low pass filter at around 275 KHz would allow reception down lower yet.

With all these filters, I think a down converter is probably best in the end.

Chuck  K1KW