To: "'FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz'" <flexradio@flex-radio.biz>
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2012 2:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Real Radios

Memories, my first network experience was with coax based  Ethernet
cards
from Artisoft using Lantastic before Microsoft even offered networking
in Win 3.1

I think I can beat that - I started with networked DOS machines using a
program called "Little Big LAN."  It connected through either parallel
printer ports or through serial ports.  It required you to write a
simple text configuration to make it work. Well, it was simple, unless
you mapped all available drive letters A through Z on all machines, as I
did with two of my five computers.  It worked amazingly well, and I used
it to run a multi-line BBS for ten years. I also had DesqView on a
couple of the boxes so I could multitask programs, such as individual
BBS instances. And everything ran with 8 MB of Ram. Of course, when
Lantastic appeared, Little Big Lan faded into the night. I did keep the
disks, just in case... <G>

Memories, indeed...

73,

Ralph W5JGV - WD2XSH/7