Thanks so much for the comments. I have no doubt regarding the fun I will have
with my NIB Flex 5000A.  I’m building a S—t hot PC for it in anticipation of a
very excellent operating environment.  I have a Heil Pro40 on back order for
it. I have a Hy-Gain Hy-Tower on back order for a month for it.  I just
received the “recommended” Bose speakers for it and the new power supply.  I
will be installing the antenna on top of a 36X71 metal barn which will serve as
counterpoise. Won’t be using the cubic yard of reinforced concrete.

I am committed to being in Eastern New Mexico for the annular eclipse photo-op
of May 20 (plus Carlsbad caverns etc) but when I return I will be fabricating
the weldment to adapt the antenna mount to the roof truss. Lots of work going
into this station setup and I selected Flex above all others thinking I was
probably getting the best or close to it. I can afford the best, once but just
once.  Hence my comments about not being thrilled to contemplate being obsolete
before I power up.  Still, all things considered, I will have some fun you
betcha.

I have been mostly inactive for nearly 12 years, just sporadic vhf/uhf mobile.
I was blissfully unaware of SDR until I studied for the extra class exam a
couple months ago.  Now as a retired computer scientist with a masters degree
in software engineering I am fascinated with the SDR concept and should have
plenty to do to keep me off the streets, out of bars, and away from strange
women while exploring the new toy. I hope to meet up with you fellow Flexers on
the low bands before too long.

Oh, and one other thing... I have dealt with lots of technical procurement from
lots of vendors and as small companies go I have never dealt with one that had
a more consistent across the board level of motivation for customer service,
product knowledge,  and general pleasure to talk to in sales, support, and
service. Flex ROCKS!

Patrick AF5CK