From: Brian Lloyd <brian-wb6...@lloyd.com>
To: Drax Felton <draxfel...@gmail.com>
Cc: FlexRadio List <flexradio@flex-radio.biz>
Sent: Tue, May 15, 2012 10:46 am
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Imagine digital starting at the antenna connector...

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 7:07 AM, Drax Felton <draxfel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So how does a lack of base band conversion improve upon what the flex 5000
 already does?

Drax, you need to understand how a direct sampling receiver works. In
ssence, it uses an analog-to-digital converter connected directly to the
ntenna. (In reality there is buffering, matching, and filtering to keep
nwanted signals out of the A:D but the basic concept is the same.) The
ther part of the secret is called decimation, which allows you to trade
andwidth for dynamic range. So the receiver can go from being a wide-band,
ee-everything-from-1.8MHz-to-54MHz, radio, to a narrow-band radio with
orld-class dynamic-range and IP3 numbers at the flip of a software
switch". (BTW, it does still need a good front-end filter.)
So, yes, a direct-sampling radio would be a game-changer (in my
ot-so-humble opinion).
--
rian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
191 Western Dr.