Clay,

Just in rough numbers, you get a 1/2-bit for every divide-by-two decimation
you do.  If you are looking at dynamic range in a 500Hz bandwidth (this is
what we typically do).  The math I generally use to get there is
log(f1/f2)/log(2)/2.  I just think this way as a programmer (do everything
in base 2). So if you take log(245.76E6/500)/log(2)/2 you get 9.4 extra
bits when added to the 16 gives you 25.5 bits (152.7dB dynamic range).
 This assumes all 16-bits of the ADC are "good" which is probably not a
good assumption.  I'd have to pull out the notes and look at the data sheet
again, but this should give you a rough idea.  Hopefully I haven't made an
additional "duh" today myself!

Bottom line -- there's plenty of dynamic range.

Also, if you are interested, we are using Xilinx DSP48E1 blocks which use
an 18x25 multiplier and so Xilinx tools generate the on-board DDS as a
25-bit DDS by default --- again to preserve the SFDR of the receiver.  We
could add extra bits, but 25 are fine for the same reason.

Steve

Stephen Hicks, N5AC, AAR6AM
VP Engineering
FlexRadio Systems™
4616 W Howard Ln Ste 1-150
Austin, TX 78728
Phone: 512-535-4713 x205
Email: st...@flexradio.com
Web: www.flexradio.com

*Tune In Excitement™*
PowerSDR™ is a trademark of FlexRadio Systems