See notes below.

Gerald

Gerald Youngblood, K5SDR
President and CEO
FlexRadio Systems(TM)
Email: ger...@flexradio.com
Web: www.flexradio.com <http://www.flex-radio.com/>

Tune In Excitement (TM)
PowerSDR(TM) is a trademark of FlexRadio Systems

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 8:46 PM, Jerry Coufal <jerr...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Gerald - Thanks for the response.****
>
> ** **
>
> I fully understand at some point all products, ham radio or otherwise will
> cease to be made. My disappointment is the VU5K is on the short end of the
> cycle which I believe will impact the incentive, and rightfully so, of
> Flexradio to work out all of the issues with the existing VU5K modules. I
> do appreciate your commitment to the on- going support of the VU5K but also
> realize it may not be practical to continue support  for long. I am a
> capitalist down to the core, and understand the good, the bad and the ugly
> that goes along with it.****
>
> ** **
>
> With regard to the intermod on the VU5K 2 meter band, I guess I didn’t
> understand that an external  front end filter was required. I failed to
> glean that information from all the online and offline documentation as
> well as from the Help Desk support ticket requests I have submitted.

There are always trade offs in design.  In order to achieve a 1 dB NF for
weak signal work on 2m, it is necessary to eliminate band pass filtering on
the preamplifier input and to run high gain through the system.  This makes
the front end more susceptible to overload from out of band signals.  A
band pass filter on the input will get rid of these problems at the cost of
noise figure.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Can we anticipate some fixes in upcoming PSDR releases in 2012 for some of
> the apparent software issues associated with the VU5K?

Can you detail the issues you are referring to?

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> I am really interested to know specifically which components in the VU5K
> module are obsolete with no follow on replacements. Is this something that
> Flexradio can share with us?

The sole source helical filters have become extremely difficult to get and
we have had yield problems with the ones we have gotten.  There is no
alternate source.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks very much – it is fun to get to communicate with the top guy.

Always glad to talk.  73, Gerald