You are not alone!! I have noticed this behavior on my 1500 as well. I'm guessing there is an issue with the xverter power levels that isn't getting translated or set back the way it should when switching between xverter port and standard antenna port.

My solution was to use the same port for all TX/RX and switch things externally between the transverters. You can also get a 28-50 xverter(I have several DEMIs) so the 1500 stays at 28mhz out the entire time. This is an additional layer/cost/complication, but you get the higher RX capabilities of the pre-amp in the transverter.

There needs to be some additional work focused in this area before the 1500 is the killer xverter driver it's been billed as(I still LOVE my 1500). Until that gets sorted, I've set the 1500 to 28mhz in/out, at a single power level and I just leave it there.