Mickey Baker wrote:
The Flex 5000 will likely work 50 years from now, but who will have a
machine with FireWire? That's going to be difficult in 5 years, much less
50!
Not difficult, just an add on board or Firewire to Ethernet adapter which is available now and I'm sure will be available for a long time to come for whatever flavor of buss comes along in the future.
You can't get a notebook computer today (other than the MacBook Pro) that
has it!

Maybe not from Walmart or Best Buy, though I wouldn't swear to that. But, I know you can get almost any model laptop from Dell with a Firewire option installed. That may not be true of their newer Ultrabooks but once again there is the Firewire to Ethernet adapter and they all have Ethernet capability. Will Ethernet still be here in 50 years? Probably not, we will outgrow even it's speed capability. Most everything will be some flavor of wireless or optical by then but I'll bet there will still be converter interfaces.
...not to mention that Windows 7 machines will be hard to come by way
before 2062!
I've already checked it out on Windows 8 preview and it works fine. Windows 8 is mostly a user interface upgrade to make it more suitable for Tablet/Touch screen devices. Will it work on whatever OS is here in 50 years? My guess is it will run in a virtual machine environment.

73, Rich - W3ZJ
73,

Mickey N4MB