"Many amps rely on that ALC connection to allow them to cut back on
drive in the event of a malfunction such as an intermittent flaky
antenna feedline. A momentarily open/shorted antenna could be very
bad news for some amps under normal drive.

Some argue that you don't really need ALC. I suspect those guys never
had an antenna disaster."

Not to be rude, but huh?

Roger...I've been QRO since back in the 80s and have never used an
ALC circuit...just watch your levels and you'll be OK without ALC.

HOWEVER, there are several extremely high zoot RF wattmeters out
there, the Telepost LP-100A comes to mind, that will unkey the amplifier
if there is an "antenna disaster."  I'm using an old RF Applications P-3000,
which unfortunately is no longer available new...and it's saved me from
myself
more than a couple of times.

Wouldn't be without it.  In the words of '41..."wouldn't be prudent."

Here's a link for the LP-1000A...it's not cheap...but then neither are
amplifier
finals...

http://www.telepostinc.com/lp100.html

73