Just some info , Even with up dating with the most recent firmware (2.4.4 ) I am unable to use CW on my 1500 with out an external keyer . However I did purchase and put together the pico keyer kit and when used with the 1500 and turning the sidetone off on the radio I am able to operate with CW no problem . I am now ready to tackle the flex 5000a , will try it with out the external keyer first and if I can't get it to work again with the latest firmware update I will put the Ham gadgets Master keyer MK-1 in line and see what happens . I guess this info for most of you is nothing new but I was under the assumption that the new firmware eliminated the need for a external keyer . I am just glad it is working now . John kb2huk