Make sure the laptop is not powering down the USB controllers.  Go to  the
control panel, select Power Options and on the option that you are using, click
on the "Change Plan Settings" hyperlink. On the next scene click on the Change
advanced power settings hyperlink.

In the scroll box scroll down until you see USB Settings, then expand it.
Expand the USB Selective suspend option section then disable the setting. Now
you can click OK and close everything until you get to the top page of the
Cointrol Panel items. Then click on Device Manager.

In the Device Manager's list of devices, click on Universal Serial Bus
Controllers. For each item designated as  Hub, double click on it and in its
dialog window, select Power Management and make sure to uncheck the "Allow the
computer to turn off this device  to save power" checkbox.

Click OK

Once you have done this for each Hub, now see if the problem persists..

73
Neal