From: "Brian Lloyd" <brian-wb6...@lloyd.com>
To: "Robert Costa, KB6QXM" <kb6...@yahoo.com>
Cc: "Lee Mushel" <herbe...@centurytel.net>, "FlexRadio"
<FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz>
Subject: [Flexradio] education/information
Date: Sun, Feb 3, 2013 9:35 am
On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Robert Costa, KB6QXM <kb6...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Brian,

So what you just said, the introduction of a pre-selector to the Flex would
have negative effects? Not the 6000, but the non-stratosphere Flex radios.

No, Any time you can eliminate an unwanted signal you eliminate its ability to
intermodulate with other signals. Therefore a preselector early on in the
receiving chain is very useful, especially if the rest of the radio is prone to
IMD.

(I have been thinking that the narrow-tuned preselector is one of the reasons
that older tube rigs from the likes of Collins performed pretty well. Remember
those went away with the High-IF-General-Coverage receiver that showed up in
the late '70s. Remember how RX performance went to hell around the same time?
Hmm?)

>*BUT*<
If you can eliminate nonlinearity and nonlinearity-causing components before
you get to the A:D, i.e. connect your A:D directly to the antenna, and as long
as that A:D does not saturate (clip), you have the (almost) perfect receiver
with no IMD, modulo operating within its dynamic range. Remember those two 0dBm
peaks standing alone in the spec-A display in Gerald's latest missive? That's
what I am talking about.

73,
Robert
KB6QXM