On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Brian Lloyd <brian-wb6...@lloyd.com> wrote:

> If you can eliminate nonlinearity and nonlinearity-causing components
> before you get to the A:D, i.e. connect your A:D directly to the antenna,
> and as long as that A:D does not saturate (clip), you have the (almost)
> perfect receiver with no IMD, modulo operating within its dynamic range.
> Remember those two 0dBm peaks standing alone in the spec-A display in
> Gerald's latest missive? That's what I am talking about.

BTW, the preselector is still useful in this case where there is a very
strong undesired signal that is causing saturation of the A:D converter.
Use the preselector (or band-pass filter) to reduce the power of the
unwanted signal and bring the A:D back into linear (non saturation)
operation.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.