Most people don't know that units like the Efratom FRK "FM" the laser to
keep it on frequency in a simple control loop and this can cause issues
depending on your use case.   The other thing that most don't realize is
their is a difference between stability and accuracy.  You'd ideally like
both to be great for some things but what most people

>From a convenience, power, etc I certainly prefer my GPSDO's.  Ettus makes
a plug in unit for their SDR's and Flex 6700's will have provision for
inclusion of the GPSDO.

Now if anyone has a spare working Hy Maser.......

I would like to recommend a paper/design for DIY-ish GPSDO.  James Miller,
G3RUH,  polymath extraordinaire did this work:

http://www.jrmiller.demon.co.uk/projects/ministd/manual.pdf

Bob
N4HY

--