Interesting thread. I suspect that the topic is simpler than people might want it to be. When I started to use the Flex3000 with a rather heavily used SB200 some three years ago I wondered about the possibility of mixing tube and solid-state voltages and was told to "not worry about it." But being a conservative person I bought a "Sunlight" isolation relay box (no longer available), never adjusted anything and have never had any problems. But then I've long felt that people tend to be overly cautious which can lead to wanting to be "taken care of."

73

Lee  K9WRU
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Barber" <audio...@q.com>
Cc: <flexradio@flex-radio.biz>
Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2013 10:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] TXOut Delay.

50ms is probably around the minimum for an SB-200.

It all depends on the relay(s). In the case of the SB-200 it's an old open-frame type, very slow. Amps advertised for "QSK" use often have vacuum relays, which can switch many times faster.

If you're running SSB, keep in mind that hotswitching the antenna contacts is the major issue, but not the only one. Some amp designs (not the SB-200) have a separate relay for the tube bias, which is often buffered with a simple R/C network. The point is that you shouldn't put drive on the tube(s) before the operating bias has had time to switch from cut-off to operate. In the case of the SB-220 for example, the cutoff bias is set to a unnecessarily high voltage as a matter of convenience, which makes the situation worse.

My .02,

Jim N7CXI