My primary mic is a Heil 781 but I feel compelled to point out that there
are MANY alternatives.  It is by no means a choice between Heil and a five
buck electret.

Shop around.  Guys who obsess over their audio quality might want a Neumann
M-150.

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Bob Kay <wa2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Check out the details on w1aex web page about his cheap mic. I use a PR40
> and the mic that w1aex describes. As a cheap mic I get many good audio
> reports from both.
>
> On Thursday, January 9, 2014, Jim Aspinwall wrote:
>

> > Observations: Heil vs. electret...
> >
> > If you work through the Heil site and a couple of his videos on
> HamNation,
> > etc. some things become compelling...
> >
> > - Electrets are VERY sensitive and will pick up a lot of background
> noise,
> > front, back, left, right, etc. (fannoise, kids, cats, dogs, lawn
> > equipment...)
> >
> > - Heils are designed with acoustic shaping for front pickup of a local
> > voice source and cancelling back and side background
> >

> > - Electrets have little or no native spectral response shaping, generally
> > poor on the lo-end, extended high end (useless) spectral range so you'll
> be
> > into the equalizer settings a lot to get things sounding right, if at
> all.
> > OK for shotgun and 'bug' mics, not great for radio.
> > - Heil's ham line are almost perfect un-equalized for ham voice use and
> > much more tolerant avoiding pop, hiss, RF, etc.
> > - Heil's pro line can be amazingly and easily well tailored for ham use
> > from AM through DX
> >

> > - Electrets require DC bias - opportunities for RF, hum intrusion,
> another
> > complication
> > - Heil - no bias
> >

> > I have the Heil HM-Pro, GM-5 and HM-10 and Yaesu and Kenwood cables - the
> > Yaesu cable is a direct plug-in for the Flex.  Out of the box default
> Flex
> > settings work good, properly setup for gain, EQ, ALC, DX, etc. even
> better.
> >
> > Recently acquired a PR35, made an adapter cable to the Yaesu cable,
> > external PTT 'dongle' - ran through the recommended audio level setups -
> > WONDERFUL.
> >
> > Given the option - a LOT of reasons to use a Heil in your hand vs. all
> the
> > hassle and potential issues using $5 worth of "kiddie tape recorder" Mr
> > Microphone element.
> >
> > (don't get a dime for this endorsement, just know what has worked very
> > well under many rigs/conditions.)
> >
> > Message: 1
> >
> > Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 13:22:55 -0500
> > From: <wa1...@gmail.com <javascript:;>>
> > To: <flexradio@flex-radio.biz <javascript:;>>
> > Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Mic recommendations
> >
> > Jim,
> >
> > I bought my Flex 3000 used and it came with a Heil HM-5 mic.  It was just
> > OK...
> >
> > I had an old fashioned Astatic D-104 with the $20 W2ENY replacement
> > electret
> > element that I used with my IC-756ProIII.  This works great with my Flex
> > 3000.  It has a flat response unlike the speech peaked Heil HM-5.  If you
> [...]

I can explain it for you, but I can't comprehend it for you.