I believe he asked for reasons to dump his 5000a and upgrade.
Many of the reasons stated seem to apply more to someone comparing the
purchase of a 5000a vs a 6300. If you already have a working 5000a, the
differences are more subtle and he will of course have to decide.

On 5/14/2014 12:29 PM, amsct...@comcast.net wrote:

> The major "real-world" differences/benefits:
> - Elimination of a poorly supported datalink (Apple FireWire)
True, but it's not poorly supported for HIM, as he is using it = no
immediate benefit
> - Low-bandwidth networking, by virtue of the DSP being located in the radio,
> provides excellent performance -even over WiFi
Perhaps, but  he did not state a need for remote access, so again no
immediate benefit.
> - Very easy to get digital audio into and out of the radio. Helpful even when
> not operating digital modes. For example. a PC can be used to record QSOs
> without using VAC.
A nice feature, but any benefit depends on whether he has bought and is
using VAC already, and he doesn't say  = ???
> - More dynamic range than the 5K means less intermodulation and de-sense
> - Wider panadapter bandwidth allows you to see more at a glance
> - Lower TX IMD
> - Much less RF intrusion into the Signature's chassis
Very good reasons if those things are a problem for him. The wider
panadapter might be compelling.

> Issues:
>
> - The DSP isn't that much different than PSDR, so it isn't going to "sound"
> much different than your 5K until sometime around the end of the year.
>
> These are the differences today, as I see them. Best of luck with your
> purchasing decision.
>
> 73 de Mike - N8MSA
>
> http://n8msa.blogspot.com/

The 6300 is clearly "cleaner" and more elegant, but from a day to day
operating perspective I concur with him that there doesn't seem to be a
"killer app" in the 6300 for the owner of a 5000a.

73,
JJ W0FAA