David Megginson wrote:
 > Jim Wilson wrote:
 > > Also have made a tiny bit of progress on a 3D panel model...but
 > > it's at the point where it could be either a c310 or c172
 >
 > That's a hard call -- there's a good case for each as the starting
 > aircraft.  The C172 has a much simpler powerplant, but the user will
 > have to deal with p-factor on takeoff;

The "tradition" with civilian consumer flight simulators has always
been to default to the trainer aircraft.  That would argue for the
172, I suppose.

And as far as 3D panels go, it'd be nice to be able to get the virtual
cockpit effect without the full-on modelling work.  To me, the biggest
advantage of a 3D cockpit is the ability to point the view in any
arbitrary direction and still look at the gauges.  I don't care so
much about seeing the throttle quadrant.  I mean, even mapping the
panel to a plane (or planes) in front of the user and letting them
scroll around would be a huge leap forward.

 > the C310 has counter-rotating engines (therefore no p-factor)

It does?  Oops.  I gotta get that fixed.  The YASim model has
identical engines; I thought that most of the "simple" twins had
co-rotating engines, because of the difficulty of getting the engine
manufacturers to tool up for mirrored engine parts.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA