On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 16:13, you wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:56, you wrote:
> > David Findlay writes:
> > > Where in the source code are the objects loaded? I'm thinking about
> > > whether it would be possibly to randomly chuck in trees if the material
> > > type is a forest type. Then later add more local information on the
> > > types of trees that
> > > grow in a region etc. All we need is the 2 intersecting rectangle
> > > billboards with transparent textures on them. This looks quite good
> > > enough to start with
> > > anyway.
> >
> > David,
> >
> > You might have a look at how we do ground lighting ... those are based
> > on surface type and are added randomly at run time.  (With a sorta
> > nifty trick to get an even distribution across varying triangle
> > sizes.)
>
> What's FG_EXPERIMENTAL_LIGHTING? And is it used by default? Also could
> someone point me to the source file that handles the ground lighting - i'm
> having a little difficulty finding it.... :-) Thanks,

Okay found it - I'll just copy your code and replace the call for a dot of
light with a billboard of the correct size. This leads to another question,
how should I make a tree database. The tree database would contain
information on the type of area the tree will grow in, how densly they grow
in that region, and the average and standard deviation of sizes of those
trees. To begin with the trees will just be a set of textures for each tree,
and just randomly intersperse the various textures for each tree. However
eventually it would be nice to be able to fractally generate the trees to
give more variety and save base package size. Could I please have your advice
on this? Also I still want to know what FG_EXPERIMENTAL_LIGHTING is... :-)
Thanks,

David