On Friday 21 December 2001 04:34 pm, you wrote:
> John Check writes:
>  > While I'm at it... is there a chance we might see being able to
>  > include fully defined layers in instruments at some point? The best
>  > I can do now is
>  >
>  > <layer include="whatever.xml">
>  > <transformations>
>  > ....
>  > </layer
>
> You should be able to include a complete layer with this mechanism,
> i.e.
>
>   <layer include="Layers/gauge-face.xml"/>
>
> where Layers/gauge-face.xml contains
>
> n  <PropertyList>
>    <name>gauge face</name>
>    <texture>
>     <path>Aircraft/Instruments/Textures/vac-amp-oil.rgb</path>
>     <x1>0.5078125</x1>
>     <y1>0.484375</y1>
>     <x2>1.0</x2>
>     <y2>0.9609375</y2>
>    </texture>
>    <w>110</w>
>    <h>110</h>
>   </PropertyList>

Right,  thats exactly the limit of what we can do now but it just defines a
texture cropping (which ain't bad). I was inquiring about the case of say, a
glideslope needle as a fully self contained entity. Cut and paste works.

> Eventually, I guess you could have a separate subdirectory for each
> instrument, with a README, etc.  Think of yourself as a fine
> craftsman, like a watchmaker.

err...... uhh....... umm...... whatever.
I'd like to stay away from excessive directories. Maybe if the instruments
were stored as tarballs....