I've succeeded in using the Blender to create textured models for
FlightGear, thanks to valuable help from Willian Germano.  Here's how
I did it:

1. Get Blender 2.23.

2. Install Python 2.0 (*precisely* that version).  I compiled and
   installed a copy under /usr/local, even though Debian and already
   stuck 2.1 and 2.2 under /usr.

3. Download Willian Germano's AC3D export script for Blender from

   http://igspot.ig.com.br/wgermano/programming/index.html

   Willian is a PLIB user who designed the script specifically for
   PLIB-based applications, so it works.

4. Make your model out of meshes (not nurbs, surfaces, etc.) and
   texture using RGB images with dimensions that are a power of 2
   (256x256 is probably the most common size).  The Blender UV editor
   will help you place textures.  Note: do not use more than one
   texture per object, because AC3D format does not support that.

5. Follow the instructions in Willian's README file for exporting an
   AC3D-format object from Blender, and copy the textures and the *.ac
   file to the same directory inside $FG_ROOT.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson