On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 07:16:59PM +0100, Christian Mayer wrote:

> sorry, but I can't understand that. I don't know why you try to do
> multiple work instead of working together and increasing the output.

That puzzled me too. It seems to me that fgfs has some (a lot
of?) 'orphaned' features. The problem is that the code is there,
but there's no way to activate these features, and no
documentation.

For example, I've found that the code supports multiple cloud
layers with varying degrees of coverage, from FEW to OVC. The
required textures appear to be present. Unfortunately users can
only set the cloud base for the first layer. Its coverage is
hard-coded to BKN, and the second layer is hardcoded FEW190.

That's one low-effort high-yield fix found, investigation
continues.

Eventually I'd like to be able to add and remove cloud layers on
the fly. I propose the following properties:

/environment/clouds/layer[n]/
                (layers can be added from command-line,
                configuration file or on-the-fly.)

        altitude-ft (double)
        thickness-ft (double)

        transition-ft (double)
                (what does transition do?)

        coverage (double)
                [0.0 - 1.0] sky coverage fraction; also obsoletes
                status property. (0 -> status=false)

        type (string)
                Cumulus|Stratocumulus|Stratus|Cirrus

        speed-from-north-fps (double)
        speed-from-east-fps (double)
                moving clouds, not implemented yet (is the
                convention for clouds to or from?)

New commands for network properties interface:

mk{bool,int,long,float,double,string}
        Create (and set) value of specified type

mkdir, rm (with alias rmdir)
        you get the idea

Commands to be changed:

set
        refuses to create new nodes (currently creates strings)

cd
        refuses to 'enter' nodes with values

Misc:
        Design a scheme to prevent deletion of "standard"
        properties. (Add a FIXED attribute to SGPropertyNode?)

I'm not touching any weather-related code until this new
environment thing is resolved. I could get started on the network
interface though.

Comments?

- --
Regards,          "I RADIS, do you?"
=Martin=        http://www.iradis.org/

PGP:  FE87448B  DDF8 677C 9244 D119 4FE0  AE3A 37CF 3458 FE87 448B