David Megginson writes:
> Martin van Beilen writes:
>
>  > After reading David's comments, I think I can safely add the
>  > property interface to SGCloudLayer. But I'm starting with the
>  > network interface.
>
> I'd suggest something like this:
>
>   /environment/cloud-layer[0]/enabled
>   /environment/cloud-layer[0]/type
>   /environment/cloud-layer[0]/altitude-ft
>   /environment/cloud-layer[0]/thickness-ft
>   /environment/cloud-layer[0]/enabled
>   /environment/cloud-layer[1]/type
>   /environment/cloud-layer[1]/altitude-ft
>   /environment/cloud-layer[1]/thickness-ft
>   /environment/cloud-layer[2]/enabled
>   /environment/cloud-layer[2]/type
>   /environment/cloud-layer[2]/altitude-ft
>   /environment/cloud-layer[2]/thickness-ft
>
> and so on (I'm not sure exactly what sub-properties you'll need), up
> to a maximum of, say, eight layers.
>
> Before too long, FGEnvironment will be able to modify these properties
> dynamically during the flight, but to start, we'll just have to set
> the properties manually in the property browser.

David,

>From a visual standpoint, FlightGear cares about visibility and cloud
layers.  These can change as you fly.  In the case of visibility, the
environment manager could hide the change logic and just provide a
slowly changing value.

However, it's more complicated with cloud layers.  In the case were a
cloud layer disappears, or is added or changes types, we probably want
to do some sort of slow blending over time to make the transition less
apparent.  Somewhere we need to track the 'current' values, the target
values, and where we are in the transition.

Thinking about this more, it might work just fine to handle this on
the flightgear side.  FlightGear could keep track of the 'current'
values and use the values in the property manager as the goal/target.
The visual system could then slowly fade layers in and out, or move
them up / down as needed.

I probably need to think about this more, and I'm imposing my ideas
for one particular cloud implimentation.  Certianly there could be
more advanced cloud effects if someone wanted to work on them.