David Megginson wrote:
 > ... if I hold the yoke in *exactly* the same position and move the
 > trim wheel, the elevator surface will not move; only the amount of
 > force required to hold the yoke in position will change.  Is that
 > right?

Yes.  On any aircraft that is not fly-by-wire*, the controls the pilot
touches are linked directly to the position of the aerodynamic control
surfaces.  Although in many cases the actual motions are more
complicated -- spoilers deploy in support of the ailerons at high
control deflections on big jets, for example.  But the principle is
the same: the control position in the cockpit has a 1:1 mapping to the
aircraft's external configuration.

Andy

* The relationship goes the other way around.  Fly-by-wire, by
   definition, means aircraft where the controls aren't directly linked
   to the surfaces.

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA