* [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Megginson) [2002.02.26 11:35]:
> Alex Perry writes:
>
>  > The position of the elevator is a force balance, consisting of the
>  > aero force on the elevator, the aero force on the tab and the muscle
>  > force on the yoke.
>
> I'm still not entirely certain that I understand.  I know that you
> don't think in terms of absolute yoke position when you're flying, any
> more than I think in terms of absolute steering-wheel or gas-pedal
> position when I'm driving, but perhaps you can verify that this is
> right: if I hold the yoke in *exactly* the same position and move the
> trim wheel, the elevator surface will not move; only the amount of
> force required to hold the yoke in position will change.  Is that
> right?

Have a look at these:

  Elevator:
  http://www.zenithair.com/zodiac/xl/pic9601z/elevator-trim1.jpg

  Aileron:
  http://www.zenithair.com/zodiac/xl/pic9601z/aileron-trim1.jpg

The trim tabs are small adjustable surfaces on the main control surface.
The trim adjustment doesn't alter the entire control surface.

And just for fun, here's an elevator trim tab that's been ripped off at
the Reno air races (looks like a modified P-51D):

  http://www.avweb.com/articles/reno98/dsc066.jpg
--
Cameron Moore
[ So what's the speed of dark? ]