Salman Sheikh writes:
> Its a Sparc Ultra 60 with Elite3D card.
>
> Salman

Salman,

I'm not sure any one has had flightgear running on a sun box in recent
memory.  This means that whatever problems you have encountered
building on the solaris platform probably have been lurking for years
and you are the first to stumble on them.

There are specific bugs and issues with the Irix linking process for
instance which breaks down when building large C++ applications (but
is ok for simple C++ linking.)  We've had to come up with Irix
specific 'hacks' to work around these problems.  That's why I
suggested that there could be bugs or limitations of the Solaris build
tools (ar, ld, etc.) when building large C++ applications involving
C++ libraries.  Also, the messages you reported indicated that
something earlier in the pipeline was generating
code/instructions/symbols that something later in the pipeline
couldn't understand.  This smells to me like a bug somewhere in the
build system (or a miscomunication between a gnu tool and a native sun
tool in the compile pipeline.)  For instance, gcc could be outputing
symbols understood by the gnu ld, but not by the sun ld (?)

I don't think you are running into a 'known' problem here (at least
not known to the flightgear developers) and I don't know of any other
solaris users on our developer list (let alone ones that have produced
a successful fgfs build.)  It may be that you are a bit on your own
here and need to beat on this for a while yourself and find the
solution on your own.  Maybe there is some solaris/gcc mailing list
where you could post your issues?  It sounds like you need to locate
some solaris compiler/building expertise.  Once you do figure out what
is going on, hopefully we can work the fix into the FlightGear build
system so that future solaris users can benefit.

That's probably not the answer you are looking for, but it's the best
I can offer at this point (unless someone with solaris build
experience can de-lurk and tell us all what is going on here.)

Regards,