I have put a replacement Main / main.cxx on my site
http://www.vso.cape.com/~nhv/files/fgfs/nhv_main.tgz

You should experience a substantial increase in fps with this
I get around a ~10% speedup

There is a small problem with the Display occasionally
because I could not figure out a way to have fgReshape()
called when the Panel switches state ( on off mini full )

You can still slide the Panel around with the Function Keys
If the Display gets really whacked you will have to 'reset'

I am sure I can figure out the 'proper'ty way of doing this
eventually if no one else beats me to it  :-)

Hopefully I haven't munged the formatting to much this time
so that this has a chance of making it into the CVS
   < sorry couldn't resist :-) >

FWIW -
With this change profiling is finally starting to report things
more like I had 'naively' expected

Enjoy

Norman