Jonathan Polley writes:

 > This brings about the philosophical question, Is is possible to work
 > around ALL MSVC bugs?

I'm pretty sure that people are successfully building FlightGear
already with MSVC 6.

 > I also don't like the name space problems that #defines cause, especially
 > when it forces the programmer to mangle the names in order to avoid
 > conflicts.  My guess as to what is happening here is that MSVC is deciding
 > to make the enum dynamic rather than static.  Since it is dynamic, the
 > compiler does not believe that it can know the value of MAX_MOUSE_BUTTONS
 > at compile time and will make a function call to determine its value
 > instead.  I am use to seeing this behavior with brain dead Ada compilers.

That's interesting.  The enum is a declaration, not a definition.

 > I suppose I could check myself, but do you know of any other instances of
 > this construct in the code?  Since this is the only complaint I got from
 > the compiler, it would be interesting to see where MSVC liked the
 > construct to see if I could find out why.

There's another, public enum earlier in input.hxx.  I can make the
second enum protected if that helps the compiler.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson