Bernie Bright wrote:

> You can keep the enum private if you add the following declarations
> immediately afterwards:
>
>   struct mouse;
>   friend struct mouse;
>
> It seems that MSVC doesn't grant the nested mouse decl. any special
> access privileges to its surrounding class.

Following up my own reply, I believe that MSVC is correct and that gcc
is wrong.  According to Stroustrup and the Standard, members of a nested
class have no special access to members of the enclosing class, ie a
nested class can only access public members of its enclosing class.

Cheers,
Bernie

PS I notice this change has been commited.  Thanks.