David Megginson writes:
> Curtis L. Olson writes:
>
>  > FlightGear should be able to load .3ds and .ase model formats (and any
>  > other format supported by plib.)  David Megginson has actually built a
>  > couple models for flightgear and he did a final conversion to ac3d.
>  > I'm guessing that must have been because there were issues with the
>  > plib 3ds/ase loaders????  David can probably answer that better than I
>  > can.
>
> Every plib loader I've tried except AC3D and MDL (a) screws up the
> geometry, (b) screws up the texture UV mappings [or omits the
> texture], or (c) both of the above.  In some cases, it might be
> Blender's fault rather than plib's, but AC3D was the path of least
> resistance.

For a project here at work I have found a .3ds format bus model and
have been able to load it into a plib application.  There were some
issues though that involved some "massaging" of the model:

a) None of the textures that came with the model were powers of 2.
Just use gimp/photoshop/xv/imagemagick/etc. to resize the textures to
get around that problem.

b) One of the textures was misspelled ... also easily fixed.

c) Plib loaders typically expect the underlying surface to be "white"
and then modulate the texture on top of that.  However, many of the
surfaces in this model were "black" so the texture came out black.
What I did here was export the model as .ase and then popped it up in
my favorite editor (in this case emacs) and manually edited the
material properties since the ppe material property editor doesn't
appear to be implimented.

There was a bit of other massaging I had to do for my particular
application, but nothing that was plib related.

Regards,