Hoyt A. Fleming writes:

 > Is anyone aware of a free database that includes man-made obstructions
 > (towers, etc.)?

You always have to ask a question like this twice:

1. Is there a free database that includes man-made obstructions for
   the US.

2. Is there a free database that includes man-made obstructions for
   the whole world.

For #1, the answer is almost certainly yes.  <grudging-praise>The US
leads the world in making useful data available free to the public,
and that's probably one of the reasons that their economy is so
strong.</grudging-praise>

For #2, the news isn't so good.  VMap0 has some data, but it's pretty
sporadic; I don't know of any other world-wide source.

Now, it *does* happen that we know the locations of an awful lot of
NDB, VOR, and ILS transmitters world-wide, and we could easily add
those to the scenery.

 > Has anyone ever attempted to add man-made obstructions to FlightGear?

Not automatically, to my knowledge.  It's easy to add some for you
local airport by hand (see docs/Model/fgfs-model-howto.html), but it
will be nice when they just appear during a flight.

Note that we do not currently do collision detection with obstacles,
so you will fly right through a tree or tower if you try.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/