Andy Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> David Megginson wrote:

>> 1. Sea level 35degC, 28.5inHG
>> 2. Sea level -25degC, 32inHG

> The "density altitude difference" (a butchered term -- the density
> altitude that corresponds to the same ratio vs. standard sea level
> conditions) that this corresponds to is about 11000 feet MSL.  That's
> a pretty hefty difference in density! :)
>
>> The C172 barely climbs out of ground effect, and eventually manages an
>> anemic 200-300fpm climb at 70 KIAS
>> [vs.]
>> The C172 finishes the takeoff roll in seconds and shoots up like a
>> rocket at over 1500fpm at 70 KIAS.
>>
>> These are the right types of effects, but I think that the magnitudes
>> are a little excessive, at least for a sea-level airfield.

I have done a substantial amount of flying at high altitudes, including
training for and actual missions doing search and rescue at high altitudes (up
to 13000+ feet).  From my experience, I would say that the effects you are
seeing with a density altitude difference of 11000 feet are pretty much in
line with reality, for a 172.  When flying at those altitudes, climb rate is
minimal, and rate of turn is huge -- i.e. if you try to reverse your direction
by 180 degrees, it takes you *much* longer to make that turn at 11000 feet
than it does at 2000 feet.  (Do the various FDMs model that characteristic of
density altitude well or at all?)

Cheers,

Derrell