Jon S Berndt wrote:

> ... Typically, the closer the CG is to
> the aerodynamic center, the quicker and easier you can
> yank the plane around (and possibly break your neck). It
> wouldn't surprise me that the A-4 is so maneuverable. It
> would be nice to get input from a real A-4 driver or find
> some old aero test data

Nimble. Hmm. Wasn't the F16 so responsive that it became the first fighter
to put its pilot to sleep if he yanked to hard on the controls. I recall a
video made during research after an unexpected crash. The g force load up
is supposedly so much faster than the F4 that experienced F4 pilots in the
F16 pulled right past the tunnel vision point to blackout before realizing
what was happening. Anyone else remember this with details?

Also, A means attack, not fighter. The A4 was Douglas' hot rod nuke
bomber. Its primary design goal was delivering a largish H-bomb using an
interesting attack sequence. Alternately it had hard points for fuel
tanks, bombs and missiles for conventional ground attack. Dog fighting was
contemplated, but more in terms of self defense as it was strictly
sub-sonic.

Regards,

Charlie H.

--
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot;
C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows