Charlie Hotchkiss wrote:
> Nimble. Hmm. Wasn't the F16 so responsive that it became the first
> fighter to put its pilot to sleep if he yanked to hard on the
> controls.

Certainly not the first.  GLOC has been an known issue from the very
early days of aviation.  There was an experimental fighter design in
the 40's (someone help me out here with the name...) that had the
pilot lying on his stomach to increase the allowable G loads.  A pilot
in a normal seat without a G suit can lose conciousness in as few as
10 seconds at 7G (I'm making those numbers up, but they're in the
ballpark).  You can do this in a Cessna 172 in a dive, if the wings
stay on the plane.

But certainly the F-16, owing to the neutral stability, was capable of
pulling this hard through a much larger portion of its flight
envelope.  Most aircraft don't have the elevator authority to do this
except at very high speeds (and at the AoA's you need to pull for
those G's, you don't stay at those speeds very long).

> Also, A means attack, not fighter. The A4 was Douglas' hot rod nuke
> bomber.  Its primary design goal was delivering a largish H-bomb using
> an interesting attack sequence.

The original design actually was for a fighter.  But the Navy had
already bought into the supersonic world with the F8U Crusader
project, and didn't want a subsonic jet (despite the fact that the A-4
could fly rings around any production fighter at the time).  So they
told Douglas to submit it for the carrier based nuclear attack role
that you mention.  Actual deployed A-4's, though, ended up being used
primarily for vanilla ground interdiction roles in Vietnam.

Later, they got picked up by the Marines for ground based light attack
and close air support.  The Blue Angles flew it for ~15 years, until
they replaced it with the Hornet.  The Air Force bought a bunch for
use as aggressor training aircraft, and the 2-seat A-4J still serves
in a few squadrons as an advanced jet and carrier qualification
trainer (although these are all being replaced by T-45 Goshawks, I
believe).  Very few A-4's every served in the nuclear deterent role,
as it happens.

> Alternately it had hard points for fuel tanks, bombs and missiles
> for conventional ground attack. Dog fighting was contemplated, but
> more in terms of self defense as it was strictly sub-sonic.

Actually, by virtue of the Air Force employment as agressor planes,
the Skyhawk probably has as much dogfighting experience as any other
in-service aircraft in the world.

It's one of those designs that Just Worked for pretty much everything
it was used for, which is why I like it so much.  It's a good, simple,
unambitious aircraft.  If it were a programming language, it would be
C to the F-16's C++. :)

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA