On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 14:37:16 -0700
  Andy Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The advantages to having an unstable aircraft are that you can hold it
>at a much higher peak AoA.

IIRC, the F-16 is neutrally stable throughout much of its
flight envelope. The main advantage for having a neutrally
stable or unstable fighter aircraft is agility, quickness
in manueverability.

>And the FCS doesn't have to be too terribly complicated. To first
>approximation, you would just "simulate" stability by computing a
>target AoA from the stick position, trim, and airspeed and using
>elevator deflections to seek to that.  I strongly suspect
>this is how the F-16A works, although I know it has a bunch of
>"modes" for safety and usability reasons.  There really wasn't too much
>computer available in the mid 1970's to do much else.

It's quite a nice piece of work, the F-16 DFlCS for Block
40 and subs. It includes little things like gun
compensation. There are structural filters, scheduled
filters, etc. It's not unsophisticated.

Jon