Norman Vine wrote:
> Check your editor's help file for 'multi-file grep' or 'multi-file search'
>
> IMHO this is an indispensible editor feature for developing 'large'
> projects and most 'good' code editors have this feature builtin so
> you don't have to resort to using commandline tools directly.

Blam.  Culture crash.  Most of us unix geeks would contend until the
day we die that doing a recursive search via a GUI interface is slower
and more error prone than running find and grep.  The idea not "having
to resort" to command line tools is foreign -- they're better, not
worse.  To us, a GUI app exists to do what command line tools cannot
(like editing visual stuff, or browsing big data sets), not to replace
functionality that works great already.

I do this particular operation so much that I have a little 2-liner
"cgrep" script that looks for a string in all the C/C++ source files
under a directory.  I can type "cgrep joy" before you get past the
Edit menu in any IDE. :)

Smileys all around.  I don't point this stuff out to start a flame
war.  It's just that I find that most GUI folks have a very hard time
internalizing the fact that Unix folks might really prefer a command
line for many tasks, and I like to cite evidence when the opportunity
presents itself.

(And after all that, I'm sure that someone will point out that emacs
has a multi-file grep feature too.  I'm just not aware of one.)

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA