Jim Wilson wrote:
> Andy Ross wrote:
> > But I also goofed and checked in some of my private changes.  The
> > eyepoint is slightly higher, allowing the pilot to look straight
> > down the nose as I believe is true for the real aircraft (it
> > radically improves visibility at high AoA's).
>
> You probably haven't noticed but I've been inching it up just for that
> reason :-) However, studying quite a few photos, it's amazing that
> pilots can see anything other than straight ahead through that target
> window, even at low AoAs.  I keep thinking there has to be an error
> there...but the photos all show the pilot's helmut is at about the
> right height and the panel in about the right place.  Been using the
> helmut as a guid for placing the eye.

Maybe we're interpreting the photos differently?  From the ones I've
seen, the location of the pilots eye traces a straight line over the
panel cover and straight down the nose at about 16° or so.  The top of
the oval windscreen is almost directly in front of the eyepoint.  This
allows for an approach at 13.5° AoA with some room to spare looking
over the nose.  I'm pretty sure that's about right.  It certainly
"feels" correct.

Of course, a real pilot would be able to physically move his head by a
few inches.  If he sits with his helmet against the rest, he will
obviously have less visibility.  I'm assuming his neck is in "approach
configuration", tilted slightly forward for best over-the-nose
viewing.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA