David Megginson wrote:
> Norman Vine writes:
> > I got a considerable boost in the frame rate from the following
> > patch to PLib. < ~25% at default startup location >
> >
> > I am trying to determine if this also true for 'most' systems
> > before advocating it's inclusion into PLib
>
> I saw a pretty-nice boost as well, for what it's worth.  GeForce2Go
> 32MB, Linux drivers, 1600x1200x32 LCD.  I don't remember what it was,
> because I've been using the patched plib now for over a week, but it
> was at least 15-20%.

I tried it too, and likewise saw a similar increase in framerate.

Nonetheless, I think this is the Wrong Solution.  What this patch does
is test at render time whether or not the vertex array is "small" or
not.  If it is small, it renders the leaf with glVertex3f() calls
instead of using the vertex arrays.  Gack.

Now, for plib as a library, this is a fine optimization that's
probably worth including.  I have no objections there.  But for
FlightGear as an application, the *real* performance bug is that we're
generating really tiny ssgLeaf objects.  Each tile is a single piece
of static geometry.  There's no reason that it couldn't live in just
one vertex array (or maybe one per texture).  Or be stored in a single
display list, etc...  But clearly the optimal performance solution
we're looking for is not iterated glVertex() calls. :)

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA