Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> I'm not claiming we are currently optimal, but you also need to
> consider that by grouping your low level structures into larger
> chunks, you reduce the ability of the scene graph to do an early cull
> of non-visible stuff.  Making larger chunks needs to be balanced
> against the benefits of scene graph culling that smaller chunks bring.

The majority (I'm guessing 70%) of tiles are either rendered in their
entirety or culled in their entirety.  The tile would seem, to me, to
be just about the right granularity for doing culling.  Certainly
culling on tiny 10 vertex objects is too fine-grained, no?  You can
DMA a *lot* of vertices across the AGP bus in the time that it takes
to do that cull.

If my 70% guess is correct, then doing culling at a tile level will
send 15% (the remaining 30% of tiles are on average half-invisible)
too many vertices to the card for each frame.  Rendering out of large
vertex arrays instead of doing glVertex() calls has to be worth at
*least* 15%.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA