Christian Stock writes:

 > I think this is the way to go for CLOD. Once we have CLOD, the triangle
 > size will depend on distance, so this should be good enough (ie triangle
 > number will be lower). Maybe when I program CLOD, I add a 3rd
 > ssgRangeSelector based on quadtrees which should be even better. I suppose
 > you use frustrum culling before the ssgRangeSelector (no use testing for
 > distance when the object isn't visible anyway).

Yes, we get that for free from plib's.  Every node in the scene graph
has a bounding sphere, and plib uses it for fast culling.

 > Yes, I get quite a big framerate drop on my system (AMD1.4 GF3).

Norm Vine sees the same thing.

 > Not that it makes much of a difference, it's still quite
 > smooth. Given the low polygon count of the added 3D objects my GF3
 > should take virtually no performance hit. That's why I'd assume
 > it's the range selection causes the drop. Using a quad based
 > approach, you'd discard most of the trees in one go and only look
 > for trees in the closer quads...

It might also be the fact that the trees are billboarded.  As an easy
experiment, make a backup copy of $FG_ROOT/materials.xml, then replace
every instance of <heading-type>billboard</heading-type> with
<heading-type>fixed</heading-type>.  Is your framerate better?  If so,
then we might want to use static polys for trees rather than
billboards.

All the best,

David

--