On Saturday, September 28, 2002, at 04:49  PM, Curtis L. Olson wrote:

> I did a bit of code shuffling with respect to the ExternalNet fdm and
> moved it to it's own subdirectory.
>
> The goal is to also include in that subdir some stand along FDM
> wrapper apps that interface to FlightGear via the ExternalNet
> interface.  These would act as examples for people interested in
> integrating other FDM codes this way.
>
> I've started down the path of wrapping JSBSim up, but I'm running out
> of time so hopefully I can hand that off to one of their developers.
>
> I also removed the External fdm because it is replaced by a better
> named NullFDM fdm.  The --fdm=external option is stull supported for
> backwards compatibility but maps to --fdm=null (which does the same
> thing.)

So the only command line change would be to go from

     --native=socket,in,30,,5500,udp --fdm=external

     --native=socket,in,30,,5500,udp --fdm=null

> Some of the benefits of running the FDM portion as a standalone app
> separate from flight gear are:
>
> - you can kill and restart the fdm portion without restarting FG.
> - you can change/recompile/rerun the fdm portion without restarting FG.
> - when developing the fdm portion, you don't need to spend the
>   overhead of compiling/linking with FG and starting FG from scratch.
> - you can interface non-GPL'd flight dynamics code via this mechanism.
> - you can run the FDM on a separate machine/OS, separate CPU, you
>   could even develop it in a different computer language.

How much of the FGNetFDM strcuture (src/Network/net_fdm.hxx) is being
filled in by the current FDMs?  The last time I was playing with it,
the FDMs were just generating position and orientation information.

Thanks,

Jonathan Polley