"Curtis L. Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> David Megginson writes:
>
> Maybe a middle ground approach would be to add a branch for each
> fan/strip and then underneath that, add a branch for the objects from
> each leaf.

This is a **long** thread :-) (and I'm behind reading the list).   I'm glad
you found that Curt...that's something that was bugging me when messing with
the changes to that for supporting tower view.

A possibile angle might be to manage the caching a little better as well.  It
seems that part of the problem (the shallow structure with random objects is
indeed a big issue) is that when switching views the tightness of the cache
forces a lot of work to be done at once.   I'm wondering if building in a good
sized buffer so that deletions are scheduled earlier would help smooth things
out, even if these other issues are addressed.

In other words schedule deletions further ahead of when they become necessary
to load new tiles always leaving a good sized buffer for new loads to continue
while deletions are executed.  This is a throw memory at it kind of solution,
 but we might need to optimize  for speed from multiple angles given the
requirements of some of the new stuff coming in to the project.

Best,

Jim