"Curtis L. Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> come along once in a while.  As can be expected, anything that would
> pay me or anyone else to work on FlightGear would most likely need
> some sort of financial incentive.  FlightGear would have to satisfy
> some need they are trying to fullfill.

Like the basis for a sophisticated and low cost flight training appliance
(FS-Tivo)?

> I would prefer a culture where companies go through us and work with
> us to achieve their objectives rather than go around us.  I'd prefer
> that we were in control of the process, rather than having companies
> simply do whatever they want.

Hmmm...Covalent and Apache?

> Another reality is time (or the lack thereof.)  It seems that as life
> goes on, I have less and less time to spend on any particular thing.
> Life just get's busier and busier, and I get stretched thinner and
> thinner.  I have less and less time for hobbies.  Finding ways to
> generate income from my would would free me up to spend more time
> developing code for our project and less time helping my boss get
> rich.

Yep.  Me too :-)

> There are trade offs to whatever course we take.  Personally I made a
> conscious choice when I got involved in this open-source project.  I
> knew we could never pull this off in a classic commercial sense and
> there were other groups (fly, propilot, etc.) that actually tried
> without any long term success.  The open source approach allowed us to
> get to where we are today without needing to ship a product, pay
> employees, etc.  And also I know that on my own, I could never have
> come up with something even to close to the same calliber as
> flightgear.
>
> There is also a matter of trust.  If I go off and participate in some
> commercial venture involving flightgear, am I selling out?  Am I
> screwing everyone else?  I see it as getting paid to spend my time
> working on FlightGear.  Most likely the bulk of that time would go
> towards contributing to the open-source body of code.  Nothing is
> taken away from the FlightGear project, but many things are certain to
> be given to it.  I know I'm far from perfect and can say/do some
> stupid things now and then, and people certainly should be cautious,
> but hopefully I've earned your trust over the years.  If I was in this
> to try to make a quick buck ... well ... after five years of not
> having made a quick buck ... I'd either be a complete idiot, or more
> likely I'm doing this because I love it.  That still doesn't mean I
> wouldn't like to find a way to get paid for my efforts so I can spend
> more time doing it, but lacking that, I'm still happy to continue
> giving as much time as I can afford for the love of mixing computers
> and aviation.

I think you can have your cake and eat it...no problem. :-)

> So in terms of licensing our code.  I think it is a good thing if we
> can position the code so that we can take advantage of our own work or
> at least make it possible to do so.  I'm proposing that we move very
> slowly and very carefully.  I'm not proposing anything radical I don't
> think.  What I would like to do at some point is start looking at key
> sections of code, and with appropriate discussion, move them
> individually to SimGear and convert the license to LGPL.  From other
> feedback I've heard, people have generally been receptive to this
> idea, and if we attack it one section at a time I think it is doable.
> In many senses I'm talking about moving towards my original goal with
> simgear to turn it into a simulator construction set, or simulation
> kernel, depending on what you want to call it.

There's been discussion about moving stuff to SimGear anyway...sounds like a
good approach.

> Having said all that, I have no immediate plans to quit my full time
> job,

Darn :-)

> Have I dug myself a deep enough hole yet? :-)

Hehe...getting there.

Best,

Jim