John Check writes:
> I see that tuning the ADF radio is now done on the standby channel.
> It was my understanding (which ain't much) that at least on some
> units you can tune the active channel

The KR-87 has several modes and several buttons.  It has two display
areas.  The first area is for the in-use frequency and the second is
for the standby freq -or- the timer

[ ADF ]  [ BFO ]  [ FRQ ]  [ FLT/ET ]  [ SET/RST ]

Skipping over some of this, the FRQ button will either toggle the
frequencies if the 2nd display is in standby-freq mode, or if the unit
is in timer mode, and the second display is showing the timer, the FRQ
button will return it to standby mode and the standby frequency will
be displayed.

When in standby mode (displaying the standby freq) the tuner will tune
the standby frequency.

When in timer mode, the tuner will tune the primary / in-use
frequency.

The FLT/ET button will put the unit in timer mode and display the
overall flight timer in the second area.  Pressing the FLT/ET button
while in timer mode will toggle between the flight timer (since the
unit was powered on) or the elapsed timer (since the elapsed timer was
last reset.)

The SET/RST button will reset the elapsed timer.  IF you hold it down
for longer than 2 seconds, things start to flash, and you go into a
mode where now the tuner will set a count down time.  Pressing the
set/rst button again will launch the count down.  When you get to
zero, the ET will then start counting back up.

> 2 questions.
>
> 1) Would anybody object to me activating a switch so we can have both?
> 2) Should we just switch to the KR87 thats sitting in cvs unused?

I vote for #2 ... the generic ADF was created without a lot of
knowledge about any specific ADF.

> Re: 2. It works according to the description of a tutorial I found.
> It also has flight/et/countdown timers and some other cool stuff. Currently
> it's confusing to use because the timer functions require
> momentary switch action, which we don't have. You
> have use two clicks and some of it is time dependant,
> i.e. hold down the switch for two seconds to set some timer modes.

Yes, I dont' know what it would take to get a momentary mouse click
mode working, but that would be really helpful.  David: is this
possible?  Easy?  Hard?  Someone else is going to have to work on this
though since I have my hands full with other things.

Regards,