John Check writes:

 > In reality I can't think of a case, because you'd know what
 > stations to tune in advance, but if you classify fgfs as a "game",
 > you might want to be able to search for ground stations. I seem to
 > recall something about some units having an AM reception mode also.

It's not a separate mode -- the AM frequencies just happen to fall in
their range: instead of

  DAH-dih-DAH-DAH dih-dih-dih dih-dih-dih-dih

you get Bob the DJ or the baseball game.  If anyone has a lot of spare
time and nothing else that interests them, we could emulate that very
roughly with a few short nonsensical audio loops and a recording of
each letter of the alphabet being sung (for station identification on
the hour).

Before GPS receivers were common, I think that people actually tracked
to AM transmission towers sometimes in VFR cross-countries off the
airways.

All the best,

David

--