Erik Hofman writes:

 > After a long search I finally found the digital elevation model data of
 > The Netherlands (up to 5 meter resolution!), but then discovered it
 > isn't free.
 > :-(

Canada has a set of digital geodata available -- high resolution line
graphs, DEMs, the works -- for only CAD 1,000,000 (about USD 650,000).
Of course, if you want to redistribute any derived works, you have to
talk to them about different pricing.  For free, you can download some
30-arcsec DEMs and some free low-res geodata, roughly equivalent to
what we already have world-wide in gtopo30 and vmap0.

To the rest of the world, it seems backwards that the U.S. (home of
software patents, the DMCA, and perpetual book copyright extensions)
got something about intellectual property so right while the rest of
us got it so wrong, but there you have it.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/