David,

I'm not disagreeing with you, but in the electrical system diagram in
the "C172S Information Manual" I can't find any mention of where the
navigation lights are fed.  Perhaps I'm misreading something?

The manual does describe the navigation lights as part of the exterior
lighting system consisting of lights on the wing tips and on top of
the rudder.

Later it says that the lights are all controlled by breakers/switches
on the lower left instrument panel.

So I'm probably miss reading something in the diagram.  I assume you
have a similar C172 manual ... perhaps you could find where the
navigation lights are powered from on your model and we could work
from that.

Thanks,

Curt.

David Megginson writes:
> Here's a quick overview of the external lights in a 172:
>
> navigation lights:
>   A red light on the left wing tip and green light on the right
>   wingtip, visible from the front and (relevant) sides, and a white
>   light pointing backwards from the tail. Required for night flight.
>
> beacon:
>   Big flashing/rotating red light extending above the vertical tail
>   and visible from every direction.  Optional for night flight, and
>   not on every aircraft, but pretty commonly used.
>
>   Note: at our flying club, the policy is always to leave the beacon
>   switched on; that way, you can tell from a distance if someone's
>   forgotten to turn off the masters after shutting down the plane.
>
> strobes:
>   Flashing lights on the wingtips (and other places for bigger
>   planes).  Optional for night flight, and not on every aircraft.
>
>   Note: pilots usually turn the strobes off on the ground or in cloud
>   or fog, for obvious reasons.
>
> landing light:
>   Bright spotlight in the nose or left wing, aimed a bit forward of
>   the plane.  Required for night flight with passengers, optional
>   otherwise (I've already done practice landings without it).
>
>   Note: pilots often leave the landing light on continuously night and
>   day for visibility, except when taxiing facing a plane making an
>   approach (to avoid confusing the pilot).
>
> taxi light:
>   Bright light usually located right beside the landing light on the
>   nose or left wing.  Optional for night flight, and not on every
>   aircraft.
>
> There is a separate switch for each of these on the control panel.

David